[En-Nut-Discussion] Memory error with second RTL8019

Stefan Richter stef.richter at gmx.de
Tue May 13 16:40:31 CEST 2003

After my MCU is running again, I have got another problem: I try to use two
network ports. Therefor I connected a RTL8019AS NIC to the Ethernut's bus
as Jochen Beck explained. The only thing I changed is that A15 is not
connected to the address bus but to PD5. The port is set high since I think
is the case at the Ethernut's RTL when the RAM is accessed.

Well, it doesn't work: Running basemon there is a memory error at 1301.
What strikes me: I put the card to 0x300 with its jumpers since Jochen
posted some months ago what he wrote this address to the EEPROM
(http://www.egnite.de/pipermail/en-nut-discussion/2002-
November/000260.html). The most significat bits of 0x300 match with 1301
and 1301 is the first address where the external RAM is accessed and this
is the case. And what's really strange: PD5 doesn't matter. It can be 0,2 V
or 4,85 V, but the problem is the same...

I already checked all wires and their connection to the ISA board several
times, but they are alright. And everything I found for the RTL8019AS seems
to say: "It must work"

What I am thinking about: Is the NIC ignoring the higher address bits? Is
it reading the EEPROM even if jumpers are set? If yes, does anybody has the
programm to change the EEPROM? Though I compared the schematic of the
Ethernut with the NIC as far as possible: Is there anything special in the
use at the Ethernut?

Thanks

Stefan