[En-Nut-Discussion] UART flow control

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Wed May 14 15:54:05 CEST 2003

Tarmo,

In fact there are some changes planned. One is handshake
(HW and SW), the other part are some optimizations like
splitting interrupt routines for UART0 and UART1.

On the new Rev-F boards, which we started shipping now,
two pads are on the bottom side for connecting PD2 and
PD3 to the RS232 driver. This has been changed from
Rev-D boards, which use PE2 and PE3.

Sorry for the trouble that this change may cause. Using
PE2/PE3 offers the ability to use either RTS/CTS or
UART0/UART1 on the DB-9 connector. Using PE3 for handshake
input was a bad idea, even for the previously used ATmega103.
The handshake input typically requires an interrupt. It should
be not too difficult to modify existing boards. And the new
include/cfg subdir will allow to use different hardware
designs. I'd recommend to move a copy to mod/include/cfg and
modify that copy.

You can check the schematics of Rev-F at
http://www.ethernut.de/pdf/enhwm16.pdf