[En-Nut-Discussion] WinAVR: Using uisp with Ethernut's STK500 dongle

Pavel Celeda ceba at vabo.cz
Thu Sep 18 13:27:24 CEST 2003

> >If I use Ethernut's STK500 dongle with AVR studio everything works OK. I
> >have replaced the Ethernut's STK500 dongle with STK500 Protocol AVR
> >Bootloader - http://avr1.org/stk500boot/stk500boot.html and UISP works
> >fine.
>
> You did what?!?! Wow, didn't expect that this works.

1) I have patched the code of stk500boot.c so it works with
Charon II and Development Board.

2) I have flashed the bootloader in the ATmega128 and set the necessary
fuses.

3) I have removed all programming dongles (STK200, STK500). Now I
download the code via UART0.

> Thanks for the info.
>
> But now you spoiled your dongle and lost guarantee, hehehehe...

I didn't touched the dongle. :)

> Nah, seriously. I'll publish our dongle firmware, which
> is completely in assembler. I'm just a little bit scared,
> because dongle problems are reported most often by people
> who bought Starter Kits. Since their first release, we
> never changed the firmware, if I remember correctly.
> What would happen, if modified releases are floating
> around?
>
> Btw. there is a serious problem with it. Our dongle will
> not work with targets running on 8 MHz or below. Jan Rehak
> reported this recently and we also failed to program older
> systems with 3.6864 MHz crystals. Jan plans to design a
> newer version using an AVR with more RAM.

I know about it, I have already faced with this problem.

> >Which version of dongle firmware are you using ?
>
> SISP 1.0.1.1
> and
> uisp version 20030827cvs

I have tested a dozen of UISP versions but without success. So I was
really startled after receiving your email.

Pavel