[En-Nut-Discussion] Network problem

NGB ngbmoreau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 14 08:27:23 CEST 2004

I have an application where I need to process 530 byte UDP packets that come in
quite quickly.
I was having lost packet problems before, but I managed to fix it by increasing
the priority of my processing task to 5. The thinking was that when NicRx would
signal the packet my task would immediately take over and process the data.
This works to some extent as now I never miss a packet.
But pings and accesing the http server have sometime become very unreliable.
Typical scenarios would be:

Sending UDP data  at about 20K/sec
ping works fine
for no reason ping + http slow down to a halt.

Sending UDP data  at about 20K/sec
start pinging
nut never replies
lots of lost udp packets

In either case, I stop with GDB to see what is wrong. All seems ok
so I hit continue and it recovers !
I'm using 3.4.2 with the improved Realtek driver, also tried without the special
driver, didn;t make a difference.

If there anything I should be aware of when running network processing task at a
higher priority than NicRx ?

Thanks

Nic