[En-Nut-Discussion] OS or no OS?

XiuLiang Peng lpeng at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Dec 6 07:23:06 CET 2004

Hi,

I plan to use ATMEGA128 running at 16MHz(no external SRAM, nor flash) to
deisign a system control block, the main peripherals are

1. Two serial ports at 38.4Kbps, one for system intercommunication, one for
dedug only

2. One I2C interface to control 4 devices, it may require to query one
device once per minute

The main traffice is the system inter communication, later I may want to put
TL1 or SNMP onto both of the serial ports for interface to outside world.

Is it necessary to put an OS in it? Will it be easier for future implement
the TL1/SNMP? If I use NUT/OS, can I seperate NUT/OS with TCP/IP?

Thanks,

XiuLiang