[En-Nut-Discussion] Re: Trying to work with PPP

Eduardo Serantes eserantes at telefonica.net
Mon Dec 13 18:10:11 CET 2004

Hi again,

I don't resign in my particular game with the PPP (sorry), but I am not an
expert in it (in fact I'm new in that field). After testing the fantastic
Serial Analyzer of Mike Cornelius (THANKS!!!), I can put some questions on
the board about the behaviour of Ethernut (2.1B):

1- I have noted that the Packet identifier starts at 0x01 (usually it starts
at 0x00) with a CHAP MD5 request, it sends the 0x02 identifier with the same
request, and then it sends a simple packet with the Async Control char map
and the magic number WITH IDENTIFIER 0x01 (should it be 0x03????)

2- The ISP sends Nak to all the requests and proposes PAP as authentication
protocol. Ethernut insists in CHAP, and sends a Termination request again
with identifier 0x01!!

3- I have configured my PC in order to emulate the connection under CHAP and
the ISP works ok. In fact the PC sends the same packets that Ethernut sent,
but without repeating the identifier numbers.

4- Is it possible to change the parameters of PPP in Ethernut? (change CHAP
to PAP, ...)

Any suggestions? Any known bug?

Thx,

Eduardo