[En-Nut-Discussion] Supporting Other Target Platforms

Waschk,Kolja enut at ixo.de
Mon Feb 2 23:38:23 CET 2004

Hi,

> >http://www.OCDemon.com has GNU gcc 2.95.3+binutils+gdb/insight for ARM.
> Isn't 2.95 a little bit outdated?

In principle, yes. But unless you find a toolchain using 3.3 or 3.4 that isn't
tagged "experimental", I'd recommend staying with 2.95.3. Especially if C++
isn't needed but just C and assembler.

I agree that something like a WinAVR package for ARM would be really nice.
However, I'm quite sure it wouldn't be a "WinARM" but rather a "WinAT91" or
"WinLPC2X":

"ARM" just isn't a synonym for some well-defined platform like "AVR" is.

> We selected the AT91R40008 for the first step.
> [...]
> internal RAM is the killer argument.

Probably it is wise to restrict ARM support in Nut/OS to platforms/CPUs that
have something like this in common: no need for Megabytes of RAM nor ROM.
>From my point of view, Nut/OS can provide an environment with threads and
TCP/IP for targets with small memory. Anyone who has a "bigger" target could
use uClinux or eCos or KADAK or ...

Beside some Atmel CPUs, I'd like to see Philips LPC21xx supported. Yet they
aren't available with external bus, but it is supposed to change soon. Even
without external bus, having a TCP/IP stack can be useful with PPP etc...

Kolja

P.S. If you're wondering how I'm currently involved with both Nut/OS and ARM;
I'm currently using Nut/OS on a Ethernut derivative that is supposed to add
Ethernet connectivity to some industrial measurement device, and in parallel
(for personal use only) work on adapting uClinux 2.4 and linux 2.6 to run
on a ZyXEL router I happen to own (with Samsung S3C4510 CPU with ARM7TDMI).

--
mr. kolja waschk - haubach-39 - 22765 hh - ger
phone +49 40 889130-34 - fax -35 - e-mail s.a.