[En-Nut-Discussion] Weird Ethernut Issue (I'm a noob, so it's probably something simple)

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Sun Jul 25 11:12:05 CEST 2004

Hello Kyle,

on the ATmega128 the programming pins are shared with
the UART0 lines. The 4053 multiplexer on Ethernut 1.x
switches these pins from the RS232 to the ISP connector,
when -PROG_ENABLE is driven low. Most ISP adapters drive
this line, but STK500 doesn't. So you can short JP4 to
force the switch. It must be removed after programming
to enable RS232 again.

Some other boards use the ISP's -RESET signal. With
a little bit soldering skill you may modify your Ethernut,
tying -RESET to -PROG_ENABLE, but this may stress other
ISP adapters. With some more skills you may cut the
-PROG_ENABLE from the ISP and connect it to the ISP's
-RESET line.

After about a minute, Basemon should initiate the Ethernet
link automatically. However, in case of problems you need
the RS232 to see Basemon's output. So you need to open
JP4. One more hint: If Basemon fails to receive space
characters, it will use 38400 baud.

Harald