[En-Nut-Discussion] Basemon

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Jun 1 12:50:56 CEST 2004

Hi Sigurd,

At 20:40 29.05.2004 +0200, you wrote:

>Can I have deleted the IP (basemon) menu?
>How do i get it back? Do i have to download something with ICC.

You send me a request by private email as well. I think, this
topic is of public interest. So I'll answer all your questions
here.

Basemon is not a resident monitor. It's an application like
any other. If you upload a new application to Ethernut,
Basemon will be removed. When loading a new application
via SPI/JTAG, then the FLASH on the ATmega128 will be
completely erased first. See
http://www.ethernut.de/en/isp/index.html

You will find the basemon.hex file in the nut/bin directory.
Or rebuild it from the sources using make for GCC or by loading
the prepared ICCAVR project located in appicc/basemon.

If you didn't change the fuses of the ATmega128, then the
"Preserve EEPROM" is still enabled. This means, that
reprogramming will not erase the EEPROM. If you run Basemon,
the values entered will be stored in EEPROM. Each application
expects these setting at the same EEPROM location. So you
can run Basemon, set a fixed IP and then load tcps for example
to use this settings.

However note, that this is just something for playing
around. Real applications should provide their own
configuration mechanism. There is no such thing like
a "works-everywhere-procedure". I recently received the
new (Nut/OS-based) KerkWebRadio from
http://www.kerkwebradio.nl/index2.html
where they use a simple key/LCD interface to setup TCP.