[En-Nut-Discussion] Sending Host name to DHCP server

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Wed Mar 3 10:30:28 CET 2004

"Host software MUST handle host names of up to 63
characters and SHOULD handle host names of up to
255 characters."
Quoted from
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1123.html

As far as I understood this, host name is meant
as the FQDN here (fully qualified domain name).

I forgot, where this had been specified: Each
part of a FQDN should not exceed 63 characters.

In total, I intended to reserve 512 bytes of
EEPROM space for system configuration. Using
63 bytes would occupy more than 10%.

The RFC states, that the software MUST handle
a max. length of 63, but that's related to
remote hosts. We can safely limit our local
hostname to 16 characters or less. I'd vote
for 15 + 1 string delimiter. It doesn't
make sense to me, saving 1 byte in EEPROM and
wasting many bytes of Flash to handle a string
without delimiter.

Harald