[En-Nut-Discussion] Software UART anyone?

Matthias Ringwald mringwal at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Mar 31 17:36:41 CEST 2004

hey, thanks for your comments.

> I would take a look at
> http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/DOC0952.PDF
> or the assembler code produced by

here they use software only, and no timers.

> However I doubt that you can implement a reliable full-featured
> software
> UART with standard ethernut activities running in parallel.

I guess it depends on the time they spend in interrupts.

we used a timer-based software uart in our btnodes project
(btnode.ethz.ch)
running at 19200 baud half-duplex. (reading the doxygen docu...)

I will be happy if would get something like 9600 working, to have an
extra dedicated debug port.

ok, we'll see. if we get it working, you'll here about.

regards,
matthias