[En-Nut-Discussion] UART drivers for PPP. Which one wins the race?

Eduardo Serantes eserantes at telefonica.net
Thu Nov 25 09:30:22 CET 2004

Hi all,

I have developed a design based on Ethernut 2.1B with some modifications
(USB,NVSRAM,2 UARTS,Display, keyboard,.) and I'm trying to release a new
software version with PPP conectivity. After reading all the code related to
uart1 (usart1,avrusart,ahdlc1, .) I'm a little bit confused about the right
one to start working with PPP. In fact, for my design I programmed a new
uart driver, so I have no experience working with any of those drivers.
Summing up:

1)       Wich driver is the top one?

2)       Is it possible to unregister the LAN91C111 and switch to PPP
without reseting the Atmega?

3)       Has somebody used the StandBy mode of LAN91C111?

It's out of the scope, but if somebody has had any problem with "jmp 0" in
the bootloader, I use the watchdog timer to perform a true reset of the
micro. For example:

WDTCR = 0x08;
for (;;);

Thx in advance,