[En-Nut-Discussion] UART drivers for PPP. Which one wins the race?

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Nov 25 11:01:12 CET 2004

Hi Eduardo,

>1)       Wich driver is the top one?

PPP needs devAhdlc0 or devAhdlc1. Only this driver supports
asynchronous HDLC, which is required by PPP.

This driver will be associated to devPpp during
   _open("ppp:uart"...

>2)       Is it possible to unregister the LAN91C111 and switch to PPP
>without reseting the Atmega?

I do not think so.

>3)       Has somebody used the StandBy mode of LAN91C111?

Never tried that, but I'm interested in adding this to the
distribution.

>It s out of the scope, but if somebody has had any problem with jmp 0 in
>the bootloader, I use the watchdog timer to perform a true reset of the
>micro. For example:
>
>WDTCR = 0x08;
>for (;;);

Good to disable interrupts as well.