[En-Nut-Discussion] IP Configuration [was: Change the IP/gateway]

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri Nov 26 15:25:44 CET 2004

Hi,

there had been a lot of critics on this topic. I feel
quite comfortable with the current solution but agree,
that it's a hack.

There are a few things to consider when trying to shut
down interfaces, like:

- All connections need to be informed. They may be
   not only in established state.

- ARP and routing need a reset.

May be there is more.

One word about user interfacing: It's the application's
task to provide a way for changing IP settings. The OS
can provide an API only, but no UART menu or whatever.

Finally, it should be taken into account, that some hardware
is equipped with a serial EEPROM containing the MAC address.

Harald