[En-Nut-Discussion] Compatibility Problem Between Rev. F and Rev. G

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Mon Oct 18 17:05:47 CEST 2004

Hello Diamantopoulos,

the main difference is EEPROM emulation, which is new to Rev-G.
There are several options:

1. Hardware modification
Take a look to schematic page 3. Removing R7 and mounting
R37 (on the bottom side) makes the board Rev-F compatible.

2. Software upgrade
Download version 3.9.2 from
http://www.ethernut.de/en/download.html
Choose ethernut13g.conf with the Configurator
http://www.ethernut.de/en/nutconf/index.html
to build the new system. This will work with
Rev-F and Rev-G boards.

3. Software modification
Replace dev/nicrtl.c with
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/ethernut/nut/dev/nicrtl.c?rev=1.8
in the Nut/OS version you are currently using.
Again, this will work with Rev-F and Rev-G

The advantage with Rev-G and the new software is, that
the RTL8019 will run in half duplex mode, which makes
Ethernet transfers much more reliable with standard
switches.

egnite will not continue Rev-F, but in case you refuse to change
your software or do the hardware mod yourself, you can order modified
Rev-G boards with R37 mounted and R7 removed.

Harald