[En-Nut-Discussion] How to implement a stream

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Mon Sep 20 18:09:10 CEST 2004

Hi Ole,

a very short roadmap:

1. Create a NUTDEVICE structure similar to devUsartAvr0
in dev/usart0avr.c.

2. Implement the functions given in NUTDEVICE
dev_init
dev_ioctl
dev_read
dev_write
dev_write_P
dev_open
dev_close
dev_size
similar to the routines found in dev/usart.c. Actually
usart.c is quite complicated, because it is divided into
a framework and a hardware dependent part. dev/debug0.c
is a very simple one, but no input.
Note that dev_open returns a NUTFILE pointer, which is
passed back by stdio, when calling the other functions
of your driver.

3. The rest is easy. The app calls NutRegisterDevice
with a pointer to your NUTDEVICE structure. Then it
calls fopen (or similar) with the name stored in your
NUTDEVICE structure and that's it. You have a stream.

All buffering is done in your driver. To avoid too much
data copying, the stdio functions do not do buffering.
Thus fputc() will call your dev_write on each character,
which may be not optimal for btnode.

Harald