[En-Nut-Discussion] Bootloader

Hugo Simon hugo.simon at gmx.de
Tue Aug 9 19:13:51 CEST 2005

Hi

I am looking for a method of upgrading the Ethernut's firmware via network
and found the network bootloader. But it has some drawbacks for me:

1. Ethernut flashes everytime it is resetted, if tftp image is reachable.
2. I have to configure the bootimage filename to the DHCP server which I
cannot access in our environment
3. DHCP and TFTP server mußte reside on the same machine

I would prefer a method which is invoked via a configuration software on my
PC. Let's say like this:

1. Ethernut starts the bootloader
2. Bootloader configures and starts up using dhcp or the configured IP
adress
3. Bootloader waits a few seconds for a "magic packet"
4. If "magic packet" is received it starts loading the image from that
server whichs sends the "magic packet"
5. If "magic packet" is not received within a few seconds it starts the
application in flash

On the PC you need a small application which sends out a "magic packet"
containing the MAC adress of the Ethernut to flash until Ethernut responds.
Then it has to send out the flash image.

The Ethernut application the should listen for the "magic packet" to or
should have the possibility to remote boot the Ethernut for upgrading it.

Does anyone have done such thing before?

Thank you
Thorsten