[En-Nut-Discussion] Bootloader

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Aug 9 20:11:11 CEST 2005

Hello Thorsten,

At 19:13 09.08.2005 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am looking for a method of upgrading the Ethernut's firmware via network
>and found the network bootloader. But it has some drawbacks for me:
>
>1. Ethernut flashes everytime it is resetted, if tftp image is reachable.

Which is quite nice for development. For applications we use
the EEPROM to pass information to the bootloader, mainly
the IP address of the TFTP daemon and the name of the boot image.
If the IP address is 0.0.0.0, then the bootloader immediately
jumps to the application.

To further enhance this, one may create special application,
which sends out UDP broadcasts to discover Ethernuts. If
discovered, this app may send new settings like IP config,
TFTP info etc. and force Ethernut to reboot. Similar to

http://usbdip.de/en/nutsetup/index.html
or
http://www.ethernut.de/en/documents/ntn-3_broadcast.html