[En-Nut-Discussion] Problems with simple RTL8019 driver in eboot

Christian.Schilmoeller at camco.de Christian.Schilmoeller at camco.de
Thu Dec 1 17:22:52 CET 2005

Hello Ethernut community,

I'am currently trying to implement a bootloader as alternative for "eboot"
in the ethernut 1.3 board.
I'm using also TFTP, but compared to eboot, roles of client and server are
swapped.
This makes some things simpler, e. g. a TFTP *client* is shipped with
Windows XP, no need to install TFTP32 or something similar. No need to
supply the DHCP server with a "boot file" information, I have no access to
that server in the company network anyway.

The TFTP protocol is already working fine, but for testing I write the
accepted files to /dev/null. Therefore I get high data rates (about 340
kb/s).
But I noticed that the ethernet packet reception routine is unreliable in
that case and sometimes hangs the board. This seems to happen when a
broadcast packet is received shortly after a normal packet. Then the
normal packet is received over and over again. But it is no packet
overflow, the corresponding bit in the ISR register is not set!

I compared the simple RTL8019 routines to the real ones in Nut/OS. Except
that in my application everything works completely unbuffered and without
interrupts, the differences I've found are few.
Any hints or ideas are appreciated!

Regards,

Christian

P.S.: Provided I can solve the problems and someone is interested, I will
post my bootloader to the community, of course!