[En-Nut-Discussion] reliability of message queues

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at kernelconcepts.de
Wed Feb 23 12:43:30 CET 2005

Hi Matthias,

> some thoughts: the message queue is using a lot of critical sections.
> if you don't need to send messages from an interrupt handler, I would
> advise to write a new version which doesn't use any critical sections
> (which are bad for bt uart..:)

I just thought to do so. Perhaps I'd better write something like a
NutEventWaitMultiple(array of event queues).

I'd like to have something like this:

Start thread
do something
wait until connect event or error event (e.g. close down)
while not error {
  wait until data availabe event or error event
  do something
}

Any idea how to implement this? My first thought was to write the above
mentioned function. Message queues would do the job too but with a lot
of overhead.

> does anybody NEED to send msgs from an IRQ handler?

One should be able to use this feature. So two seperate function sets
for using msgs from an IRQ handler and from outside should be
implemented.

Bye,

Ole

--
kernel concepts    Tel: +49-271-771091-14
Dreisbachstr. 24   Fax: +49-271-771091-19