[En-Nut-Discussion] high speed serial

Jeremy.Thompson at csiro.au Jeremy.Thompson at csiro.au
Mon Jan 10 06:31:30 CET 2005

Hi,

I am having a problem using an ethernut 2.0 rev A when communicating
with a high speed serial device.  The rate I am attempting to
communicate on is 500000 baud and it appears that data is being
overrun/lost during the transmission.  The ethernut has been modified
with a 16 Mhz crystal to allow for communication on the higher then
standard baud rate.  I am using uart0 and the data is "packetized" into
chunks of about up to 1.2kb and is streaming continuously.

My main question is can the ethernut communicate on this rate
successfully? As the data being transmitted is checked using CRC even
the loss of a single byte is bad news and will result in the loss of a
complete data packet.  I have tested this application using lower baud
rates and have had no problems.  If the ethernut can handle 500000 then
I will focus on optimising and tuning my application but if not then I
might have to find another solution.  Also in the future I may be
looking at trying to interface with a 1500000 baud device.

Cheers

Jeremy