[En-Nut-Discussion] high speed serial

Nic Cave-Lynch nic at tymar.com
Mon Jan 10 08:41:18 CET 2005

Hi Jeremy,

without knowing the details of what you're wanting to do, or the serious
details of the internals of Ethernut, I'd guess you were pushing the
proverbial up hill. It looks like the timing's likely to be against it,
by the time you add in the Ethernet interrupt latency, re-framing for
Ethernet, bashing the frames out to the Ethernet chip, and OS overhead.

Are you wanting to get data in to a PC? If so, the approach I'd take
would be a little bit of custom hardware based around one of the USB
chips from FTDI (http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/FT2232C.htm). They're
as simple as it gets, and will run up to 1 Mbaud, with a trivial PC
interface, and drivers for Linux. And they say they'll do 3MB if it's a
TTL interface.

Alternatively, I've done 250kb with an 8MHz clock to Ethernet frames,
but only UDP, and writing most of it in assembler (it was actually
fairly easy if you don't want to be too standards-compliant)

But, as I say, I don't know the guts of the Ethernut well enough to know
if it would cope: I'm only guessing that the chip's processing power is
such that you've got little chance of success, and none at the higher
bit rates...

Good luck

Nic C-L