[En-Nut-Discussion] changes in tcpip stack from 3.9.5 to 3.9.6

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri Jun 3 15:21:24 CEST 2005

William,

Two things in advance.

I failed to properly track version numbering for Linux. Thus
it is required to know the build number (4th part). Make sure
to use
ethernut-3.9.6.tar.bz2
from
http://www.ethernut.de/en/download/index.html
not the previously released rpms.

Second, Ethernut ARP does retries. Michael Jones explained to
me some time ago, that this is wrong. This behaviour is
configurable, either by setting "Max. ARP Requests" to 1 with
the Configurator or by
#define MAX_ARPREQUESTS 1
in
include/cfg/arp.h
You may also increase
MAX_ARPAGE
or reduce
MIN_ARPWAIT

Beside that I have no idea right now what may cause this
problem, but can ensure, that generally 3.9.6.2 and 3.9.6.3 work
perfectly stable. We have been running these versions with
a very complex application in a long term test without any
problems. But of course, every environment is different.

As soon as I have a bit more time, I'll have a deeper look into
the information you provided.

Sorry for not responding to your previous email.