[En-Nut-Discussion] FAT filesystem and SD/MMC cards

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Jun 23 19:59:34 CEST 2005

Hello Arnfinn,

Bad news. There is a simple FS for serial dataflash chips
http://www.ethernut.de/en/projects.html
contributed by Dusan Ferbas. It doesn't take care of wear out and
the code is a bit old. No idea if it will still work with the
latest Nut/OS.

PNUT is optimized (better say simplified) for RAM. It may be
too difficult to make it work on Flash Cards.

As far as I understood, MMC/SD Cards contain a patented algorithm
to avoid flash wear out, even if the FAT is written to the same
block over and over again. Anyone with more insight?

In general I'd prefer a journaling FS, because it would be useful
for all kind of flash memory, not just patented FAT. My interest
in the area is enormous, but the required effort...well.

The ecos JFFS2 doesn't look bad. Unfortunately it's GPL'ed and
won't fit to Ethernut's BSD licence.

Harald