[En-Nut-Discussion] Supported Ethernet Controllers.

John Day johnday at wordsnimages.com
Tue Oct 11 04:34:29 CEST 2005

At 03:46 PM 10/9/2005, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>>
>>That is, would it be safe to design a Nut/OS based product using thatpart
>>without having to provide driver support ourselves?
>Of course it would (be safe).  If you have drivers from your other
>products then you should have the code and know how to use that chip.

Touche! Yes, we have some knowledge. The code we have written has been for
the CS8900A and the RT8019A. The AX88796 application was initially written
by an outside contractor and we have re-used it in a couple of other jobs.
I suppose now is maybe the time to see just how good our C coding skills
really are!

>And the really nice thing with open source OS'es - you don't need to play
>release of the week.  Get all the code (and tools), build your device and
>then archive the lot (tools, source - everything you need).
>Then don't even think about upgrading anything for the life of the product
>(unless you really really really have to ).

Hmmm, sounds kinda like our lives right now! Once a product us stable they
just go on in production for ever.

>Sounds very safe to me.
>
>Ralph

Thanks for the advice folks, I have seen other responses. I will look into
the SMSC part as well. Seems we have a stocking distributor nearby.

John