[En-Nut-Discussion] Trouble with nutconf and 'nut' subdirectory + make question

Bernard Fouché bernard.fouche at kuantic.com
Mon Sep 5 19:12:51 CEST 2005

Christian.Schilmoeller at camco.de wrote:

>I've had the problem with the disappearing *.elf-files, too. The "rm"
>command is found nowhere in the makefile, but nevertheless "make" performs
>this delete operation. The reason for this is that "make" regards the
>*.elf-file as a temporary one, not as a target of the build process. IIRC,
>I solved this problem by copying the line that generates the *.elf-file
>into the section that lists the targets (the *.hex-file is also found
>there). The changes must be applied to a file named "Makerules" found in
>the Ethernut directory.
>I'm not 100% sure about this, just to give you a hint. Unfortunately, the
>make manual is a big chunk... I've also read something about the PRECIOUS
>keyword that does something similar (preserves files that would be deleted
>otherwise).

I've seen that calling make with '-r' will drop implicit rules (these
are the rules that we want make not
to use). 'info make' gives a lot of details, I think that some variables
allow twicking the behavior of such
and such rules but once I found '-r', and since all Ethernut makefiles
redefine all needed rules, I stopped
my quest at that moment ;-)

  Bernard