[En-Nut-Discussion] Global variables and threads

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Sep 20 12:42:42 CEST 2005

Matthias,

At 12:16 20.09.2005 +0200, you wrote:

>one way to solve this could be a pull-up resistor to VCC, so the
>receiver
>sees a constant 1 before you system starts up.

AFAIK, most RS232 level drivers contain a weak pull-up.

>I'm still unsure, if its is safe to use more than 4k for
>global structs that are allocated by avr-gcc and I keep telling
>people to dynamically
>alloc all global structs to be one the safe side. so if you didn't
>use NutHeapAlloc,
>just do so. :)

At least dynamic allocation doesn't hurt. :-) From
time to time there had been reports, that programs fail
when using .bss and .data segments beyond 4k. But none
of them were reproducible since 3.4.3. I checked this
with GCC 3.3/3.4 and ImageCraft 6/7.