[En-Nut-Discussion] Newbie - NUTos questions.

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Sep 29 15:43:32 CEST 2005

Hi Jim,

At 08:47 29.09.2005 -0400, you wrote:

>The question(s):
>1)  MUST I use the NutOS in order to use the Ethernet Libraries?

The kernel provides four very basic functions:
1. Dynamic Memory
2. Events
3. Timers
4. Threads

3 and 4 use 2 and all of them use 1. The Ethernet driver
uses a receiver thread and timers.

>2)  Since our design will have about 5 different communication ports
>(several RS232, ethernet, CAN, etc)
>      I would prefer to not use the Nut provided printf function and
> continue to use the imagecraft provided printf function.
>      Is this OK?

Possibly a bit tricky, but it should work. Do not link
with libnutcrt and remove

#define printf      printf_M
#define puts        puts_M
#define sprintf     sprintf_M
#define vprintf     vprintf_M
#define scanf       scanf_M
#define gets        gets_M

from compiler.h or use

#undef printf
#undef puts
#undef sprintf
#undef vprintf
#undef scanf
#undef gets

in your application code. But be aware that the ImageCraft
lib doesn't provide fprintf.

You can always check the .mp file to see which library
parts were linked.