[En-Nut-Discussion] Basemon bug ?

Pascal Jean pascal.jean at laposte.net
Sat Dec 16 12:39:26 CET 2006

Hi Ernst,
Thank you already for your answer. I am not very gifted in English, I ask
you therefore for your indulgence ; - |

> BUT: I am not sure (and have not tried) if the precompiled
> basemon.hex works for Ethernut 1 and Ethernut 2 boards <->
> ANYBODY who knows that???
In fact the precompiled basemon.hex detects the rtl8019 well. Therefore it
functions with ethernut1. (testing NIC OK)

> Each version of ethernut contains a precompiled version of
> basemon.hex (in the nut/bin/atmega128 directory) You could
> try this one (of the 4.2.1 version you are using) to see if
> you get the same error.
With this precompiled, it doesn't function, even with a manual
initialization of the network parameters. The symptoms are indentiques, that
is:
- green and yellow leds extinct
- no display on the terminal of the message of launching of the server web
- reboot after some time (watchdog ?)

> You reference avr-libc 1.4.5 in your 1st mail. Is this a typo
> or have you manually replaced the original avr-libc?
>
> Last question: Have you tried to compile other apps with this
> ((avr-gcc
> 3.4.6 + avr-libc 1.4.5)) setup and if yes, do THEY work?
I put effectively up to date my libc (version cvs avr-libc-1_4_5-release)
and compiled under mingw. I compiled httpserv.c with my version of libc and
the web server functions correctly. Therefore me of it finished that my
version of libc is not at the origin of the problem.

I analyzed how to basemon works while using JTAGEICE mkII: Version compiled
with the support of the debug informations: I added HWDEF+=-gdwarf-2 in the
UserConf.mk files of the build and app directories before compiling nutos
(make, make install) then basemon (make, make burn).

I saw that the heap is first of all initialized with the internal SRAM (in
order to be able to make the test memory). Then the quantity detected of
external memory is added to the heap before creating the Thread 'idle' (who
runs himself the thread 'main'). The crash occurs in the commutation of task
in 'idle' (NutThreadYield). Server httpserv.c functioning, I would
incriminate the NutHeapAdd function (but I don't have a very clear vision of
the problem again).

I remind you that the version of basemon (4.1.2) compiled under nutos
3.5.0.0 operates my material therefore functions correctly (ethernut, dhcp
server ...):
BaseMon 4.1.2
Nut/OS 3.5.0.0
[...]
MAC address (000698000000): 000698010cf1
Host name (ethernut):
IP address (0.0.0.0):
Using DHCP or ARP method (Y):

MAC  00-06-98-01-0C-F1
IP   192.168.1.80
Mask 255.255.255.0
Gate 192.168.1.1
HTTP server running. URL http://192.168.1.80/

Therefore I am to the monitoring of your ideas and remarks.

Thank you.
Regards
Pascal