[En-Nut-Discussion] I have successfully compiled and debugged with symbols!

Chuck Hackett egroupscdh at up844.us
Tue Feb 7 19:01:41 CET 2006

> From: Michael Fischer
>
> Hello Chuck,
>
> I think the trick is, that you MUST compile the Nut/OS libs with debug
> information!
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael

Thanks Michael!

I have finally gotten to the point where I can debug the httpd demo with
symbols.  Among other things this will aid in my getting to know the AVR,
WinAVR, Nut/OS and Nut/Net so that some day I can answer questions here instead
of asking them :-)

One thing that I'm curious about though:  Does anyone know why one would have to
compile Nut with symbols in order to debug with symbols on the application code?

BTW: for those trying also trying to debug with symbols (José ?) this is the
environment I have that seems to be working:

- WinXP Pro w/sp2
- Ethernut 4.0.1
- WinAVR-20060125
- AVRStudio 4.12.462  Service Pack 1
- debug format elf w/dwarf-2
- Ethernut 2.1b target
- ICE-Cube for JTAG connection (Graham Davies, http://www.ecrostech.com)

To compile Nut w/symbols I created Nut\Makedefs.avr-gcc-debug as a copy of
Nut\Makedefs.avr-gcc and altered the CPFLAGS entry to include:

" -g3 -gdwarf-2 -Os"

(I also altered CXXFLAGS for completeness)

I also created Nut\Makerules.avr-gcc-debug as a copy of Nut\Makerules.avr-gcc
and altered the "Platform" setting in the Configurator settings to
"avr-gcc-debug"

Cheers,

Chuck Hackett
"Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment"
7.5" gauge Union Pacific Northern (4-8-4) 844
http://www.whitetrout.net/Chuck