[En-Nut-Discussion] Vintage Ethernut 1.1 documentation

Hugo Simon hugo.simon at gmx.de
Sun Feb 26 21:10:32 CET 2006

> better processor that is compatible, have you considered using the newer
> ARM based Ethernut?  The ARM version should not be any more expensive (at
> least not because of the processor) and will have a lot more capability.
I considered that, but I read too many problems in compiling and handling
this new Nut. And the TCPIP hangups are not fixed yet (not in the old AVR
versions and therefore not in the new one, I think) and this is not fixed I
will not spend money in a new one. I have two Ethernut 2.1 laying around
here, beside the old 1.1 version, which should be used in my company, but as
they crash every now and then, even with the http demo, I cannot usem them
there.

> I have been working on an evaluation chart for various ARM MCUs and I was
> surprised to find out that the Philips ARM chips have versions with 32 kB
> of Flash for $2.50 and less!  Versions with 128 kB of Flash run about
$5.50
> compared to $7.50 for the ATmega128.  I think it is time for 8 bit
> processors to be relegated to microwave ovens and digital thermometers.
And can you buy these parts somewhere for hobby use, in low quantities? And
do the come in housings that can be handled by a hobbyist? These are the
main drawbacks today, I think.

> BTW, if you are interested in the chart I prepared, I have added it to the
> www.gnuarm.com web site.  Go to the main page and select Resources, then
> scroll down to the ARM Chips section and select "ARM device comparison
I will have a look.