[En-Nut-Discussion] Vintage Ethernut 1.1 documentation

Rick Collins ethernut at arius.com
Sun Feb 26 20:50:18 CET 2006

The ATmega103 and 128 are fully upward compatible.  There is even a fuse
you can blow to make the 128 map to the same memory locations so you don't
have to change anything in software.  But rather than go to a slightly
better processor that is compatible, have you considered using the newer
ARM based Ethernut?  The ARM version should not be any more expensive (at
least not because of the processor) and will have a lot more capability.

I have been working on an evaluation chart for various ARM MCUs and I was
surprised to find out that the Philips ARM chips have versions with 32 kB
of Flash for $2.50 and less!  Versions with 128 kB of Flash run about $5.50
compared to $7.50 for the ATmega128.  I think it is time for 8 bit
processors to be relegated to microwave ovens and digital thermometers.

BTW, if you are interested in the chart I prepared, I have added it to the
www.gnuarm.com web site.  Go to the main page and select Resources, then
scroll down to the ARM Chips section and select "ARM device comparison
chart".  I generated the HTML directly from Excel, so if it has a few
glitches, blame MS, not me...  ;-)

The chart is a work in progress and I still need to add OKI and any other
manufacturers that I have not thought of.  The target devices for this
chart are MCUs complete with on chip Flash and RAM.  So I will not be
including a lot of the devices that use off chip Flash.  I may do a second
chart with the non-Flash ARM7s and a third for the ARM9s.