[En-Nut-Discussion] Heave load will harm the system?

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Feb 28 20:38:10 CET 2006

At 13:12 28.02.2006 +0000, you wrote:
>running a webserver on the atmega128, and i use performance tools to load
>the system, if i continue load the server, will the mcu burn for overheat?
>anyone have experience on this?

The ATmega128 is running full speed all the time. If all
threads are waiting for an event, the idle thread will
run. This can last for years without problem or any
heating up.

The Ethernet Controller is a different story, as the
PHY part contains an analog power circuit. It may heat
up a bit during heavy Ethernet traffic. But there is
no danger of overheating of the 10 MBit Controller used
on Ethernut 1. The 100 Mbit Controller on Ethernut 2
becomes really warm, even in idle state. The Controller
on Ethernut 3 shows, that this is not mandantory for all
100 MBit PHYs. It stays relatively cool.

Harald

P.S. I liked this question. Wonder why it hadn't been asked
before.