[En-Nut-Discussion] NutTcpAccept() timeout

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri Jul 21 12:42:45 CEST 2006

Henrik,

At 10:05 21.07.2006 +1000, you wrote:
>Nut/OS is claiming to be an RTOS.

My view.

- Nut/OS kernel yes, TCP not.

- Nut/OS is a co-operative RTOS, which never guarantees any minimum
time until the highest priority task, which just became ready, will
start running. Any realtime behavior on task switching has to be
maintained by the application. The only realtime behavior, that is
maintained by the RTOS is the preemptive part, AKA interrupts.

- Nut/OS is multithreaded. Blocking I/O doesn't mean, that the
system itself is blocked. In fact, this has nothing to do with
realtime support. I think the reason behind is, that a thread is
costly regarding resources. Timeout options on I/O often avoid the
creation of additional threads.