[En-Nut-Discussion] 60Hz frequency measurment questions..

Michael Jones Michael.e.Jones at web.de
Thu Jun 8 17:15:29 CEST 2006

Hello,

Are you measuring axis rotation speed or the actual frequency of the
generator output?

Generally I would suggest using a digital PID using the generator output as
reference. The PID would look a bit like:

	u(n) = u(n-1) + (Kv+Kp) Xd(n) + (Kn-Kp-2Kv) Xd(n-1) + Kv Xd(n-2)

Where:

	Kp = Kr (1 + Tv/Tn)
	Kv = Kr Tv/T
	Kn = Kr T/Tn

	Xd(n): control deviation
	Kr: Amplificaion
	Tn: Reset time
	Tv: Hold-back time
	T:  Samplerate

I have been using this formula for many projects and found it easy to apply
and implement. Though there is always the painfully time to find the correct
values for Kr, Tn and Tv. On some projects I did then add an extra
compensator that would level out temperature and (especially in your case)
other environmental factors. The Atmel easily has the resolution to count
the duration of every half wave and I would feed that directly into the PID.

Cu,
Michael

Btw: I loved reading your stereo mirror building articles...