[En-Nut-Discussion] RE: ARP packets crashing the TCP stack

Don Ingram don at led.com.au
Tue Jun 20 01:28:57 CEST 2006

> I have migrated my application from Ethernut2.1 to Ethernut3. Running on
> Nut O/S 4.1.5 And I have found that my application restarts every 10
> minutes (due to the watch dog) if I send syslog messages. My application
> sends a syslog message every minute and every 10 minutes an ARP (who has
> my IP) is recieved which stops the TCP stack and my application. If the
> application is configuration not to sending syslog message every thing
> runs fine (no restarts).

An observation

( caution - I --USE-- NutOS but know bugger all --ABOUT-- NutOS ;-)

If a telnet connection is interrupted ( remove network cable )with data still in
the stream allocated to the telnet port then the device will crash.

Prior to closing the socket, when a telnet session dies or is closed, if the
stream is flushed then no crash.

This probably bleeding obvious to old hands but it had me caught for a while
after I made use of the example code which doesn't flush the stream prior to
close...

Could the SYSLOG message be intermittently failing & not be handled?

--
Cheers

Don