[En-Nut-Discussion] undefined reference to `sig_OVERFLOW1' while in tracer.c

José Vallet jose.vallet at hut.fi
Thu Jun 22 15:51:26 CEST 2006

Hello all.

I am trying to use the tracer to try to understand what my code is
doing. But I have a problem.

What I did is just to add to my code

#include <sys/tracer.h>
NutTraceTerminal("threads");

and then I get the following linking error
avr-gcc pemctrl.o  terminal/btn-terminal.o terminal/nut-cmds.o
xflash/tftp.o xflash/xflash.o  pbtwique.o PemBoard.o PbDebug.o
PemNetwork.o PbPid.o PbSaveData.o   PbDataMonitorServer.o
-mmcu=atmega128 -Wl,--defsym=main=0,-Map=pemctrl.map,--cref
-Lc:/ethernut-4.0.2/nutbld/lib c:/ethernut-4.0.2/nutbld/lib/nutinit.o
-lnutarch -lnutnet -lnutpro -lnutfs -lnutos -lnutdev -lnutnet -lnutcrt
-o pemctrl.elf
c:/ethernut-4.0.2/nutbld/lib\libnutos.a(tracer.o): In function
`NutTraceInit':
tracer.c:(.text+0xcc): undefined reference to `sig_OVERFLOW1'
tracer.c:(.text+0xce): undefined reference to `sig_OVERFLOW1'
make: *** [pemctrl.elf] Error 1

Then I started the configurator and activated the OS Tracer and OS
Tracer critical flags, recompiled and recreate the sample directory. But
still the same problem.

Then I checked the source folder where tracer.c is, ./nut/os. When I
open the makefile of that folder I can see that the sources are
SRC1 = 	nutinit.c
SRC2 =  devreg.c timer.c msg.c event.c thread.c heap.c osdebug.c confos.c \
	version.c semaphore.c mutex.c

#Add support for memory banks on AVR architecture
ifeq ($(ARCH), avr)
     SRC2 += bankmem.c
endif

I ignore many things, but somehow my intuition was telling me that the
tracer was part of the libnutos library, and thus I was expecting to see
the tracer.c over here, like the "Playing the Nut/OS Configuration Game"
document shows. But still, the linker does not complain about not
finding tracer.o! ... sorry, I am a bit puzzled here.

So, what is the trick to use the tracer? What am I missing?

I am using NutOS 4.0.2

Thanks!

José