[En-Nut-Discussion] SAM7X Devellopment: Any other hardware used beside SAM7X_EK support

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Jun 30 11:21:12 CEST 2006

    Harald> Uwe, At 10:19 29.06.2006 +0200, you wrote:
    >> Hallo,
    >>
    >> for the ongoing SAM7X development, do people use any other hardware
    >> beside the Atmel Development kit?  The price is rather high, even if
    >> the board is heavily loaded.

    Harald> It really costs some money and egnite is considering designing a
    Harald> low cost version.

    Harald> AFAIK, the full production for the SAM7X just started a few
    Harald> weeks ago. Thus it may take some more time until more boards
    Harald> appear on the market.

I am also considering an eagle design. I have a pair AT91SAM7XC256 and
the DP83847ALQA56A phys. Probably the ethernet Phys isn't the best choice,
but last Digikey order has to go out and this was the first somehow usable
and not to expensive phys I found. I would be willing to share the design
file. Any ideas what should go on the board?

One prerequite of my design will be the formfactor. It should fit into a 3HE
19' Rack, so the front side for external connectors has only 10 cm and I
have to care for handle at the lower end of the frontplate.

I think, in the standard configuration, the front plate would carry:
- one FCC68-8 for Ethernet
- one FCC68-8 for CAN (I have CANH on 1 and CANL on 2. Normally I have 2
FCC68-8 for CAN with all wiring in parallel to allow easy daisy chaining
without adding to mch stubs)
- one Sub-D 9 for Serial (an FCC68-4/6 could save some space, perhaps for an
USB mini connector)

This would already take up the avaliable frontplate space. Additional
connectors ( mass storage, ?) would need to go piggyback. What else needs to
be brought out to the frontplate

Cheers
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de