[En-Nut-Discussion] Power Strip Program

Joel Winarske joelw at indyelectronics.com
Mon Mar 6 18:32:20 CET 2006

>     Monitors the AMP (current) consumption on each individual socket
>     and if there is a massive surge - allows for that single socket
>     to be disabled. (ie - the "Soft" fuse / circuit-breaker)
>
> I'm trying to build an all-in-one system for about $300 - complete with
> power and environmental monitoring.

I've done something similar with DC.  I used D/A with a comparator for each
channel.  The D/A output was used to dynamically adjust the trip point.  You
might consider using Hall Effect sensors for current measurement.  For the
environmental monitoring side you might consider the Maxim/Dallas 1-Wire
devices.  You could use either the serial or I2C 1-Wire interface.

Then again the Maxim/Dallas DS80C4xx series micro was built for applications
like this (aka Dallas TINI).

Joel