[En-Nut-Discussion] Re: Ethernut Lockups (Harald Kipp)

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Mar 7 13:21:01 CET 2006

At 21:40 07.03.2006 +1000, you wrote:

>Do you know how i will go with enabling the Watch Dog?
>I am guessing a lot of the functions in the libraries will require WDR()
>as they will take longer to return then the longest watchdog timeout.
>Could be a lot of trail and error?

Not really. When set to max., the watchdog reset is required
every several 100ms only. Only blocking I/O and EEPROM writing
takes longer.

I usually switch off the watch dog temporarily when storing
application parameters in EEPROM.

To find the right thread for watchdog reset depends on the
application code. Sometimes a special thread makes sense,
which runs at low priority, takes over some integrity checks
and stops triggering the watchdog timer if things look
suspicious.