Images not showing on browser, perhaps due to dataflash hogging CPU? Re: [En-Nut-Discussion] user pagewritten in html or ????

Hugo Simon hugo.simon at gmx.de
Wed May 10 23:22:07 CEST 2006

> delay affect the result.    Another major factor is "how busy" the nut
> is doing other things.  The more threads and stuff, the more likely that
> images wont get served up.
I saw the same effect.

> At this stage I have not spend much time looking into it as it was
> quicker to remove the images for the required result.
That was my approach, too. I made a status page which looks like the one of
"Big Brother Monitor". It uses many small icons for status display, and they
were read again and again without beeing cached in the browser. With a
little tweaking of the HTML code I got the browser cache them and so my
problems are gone. I had the following line in my html code to do a refresh
every 60 seconds:

"<META HTTP-EQUIV=\"REFRESH\" CONTENT=\"%i\">\r\n"
"<META HTTP-EQUIV=\"EXPIRES\" CONTENT=\"Sat, 01 Jan 2001 00:00:00
GMT\">\r\n"

I thought the EXPIRES tag is needed to say the browser that the page is
expired. But that assumption was wrong. The REFRESH tag is enough, when you
skip the second line the browser stops reloading the graphics every time.

Another problem I got is when the program/webpage fills up the flash memory.
It seems the linker does not see this and gives no warning. Also when flas
is "nearly" full, only a few hundred bytes left NutOS became unstable and
does mystic things. I thing gcc screws up some things then.

The third problem which brought my project to an unsuccessful stop is the
hangup problems of NutOS in big networks. So I don't think there will be any
progress to my project anymore.
I had so much ideas for Ethernut in my company, but without that solved I
cannot use it there :-(

bye
Thorsten