[En-Nut-Discussion] ENJ28J60

Bengt Florin bengt at florin.se
Wed May 24 17:46:58 CEST 2006

Correct, AVR is capable of 8MHz SPI.
The LPC family is not.

As a matter of fact I first wanted to connect ENC28J60 to a LPC2106.
This seemed like a perfect couple, small and powerful.
However the LPC divides clock by 8 for fastest SPI clock, yielding only
7.5MHz.
Whether that is close enough to 8 Microchip support couldn't tell.

To be honest the errata says the SPI clock could be lower if it is
synchronous to 28J60 chip clock, but I'm not sure it will be synchronous
enough as LPC has a PLL driven clock. And then you have to run the LPC on
25MHz crystal.

Otherwise the LPC family is one of my favorite ARM7 right now. It runs ARM
code at full speed directly from FLASH. That means you don't have to bother
to put your time critical interrupt code in SRAM and you may compile all
your code in ARM mode without any performance penalty like for the SAM7
family.

Can't really understand why Atmel didn't implement some MAM-like feature.
But maybe I'm the only person on the planet still not compiling Thumb code.

Wasting half the CPU bandwidth for nothing is not my game.

So what we look for is when LPC comes with integrated Ethernet 6 PHY.
Or else we go for the Coldfire solution, but that's another thread.

/bengt