[En-Nut-Discussion] Boot Loader

Dave Warren dwarren at luescher.com
Mon Oct 9 16:47:05 CEST 2006

Hi Tim,

I am using the SAM7X256 also. You are right a ethernet bootloader would be
cool.

I have written a CAN bootloader in the past for the AVR micro (not using
ethernut). What I think is important is that the bootloader itself can not
be destroyed, that way you can aways use the bootloader to restore a node
even after a 'bad' download. The bootloader would have to be a ethernut that
was linked and run at a different address. It should run first at power up,
normally it should switch to the application, another ethernut linked to a
different address in Flash. However if you want to download then use it
Flash the application instead.

Questions:-
1. Can you access a different Flash page while erasing or programming
another page? If not the bootloader has to run from RAM, otherwise it locks
up when the ARM tries to read the next program instruction.

2. Is there a seperate boot page in the Flash ?(Like AVR micros)

I don't know so much about the ARM or ethernut but would be willing to help.

regards

Dave Warren