[En-Nut-Discussion] error of compiler

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at kernelconcepts.de
Fri Sep 22 13:38:55 CEST 2006

Hello,

> I have some printf of debugging messages throughout the code.
> The code works fine, but when I remove those printf .. it stops working.
> It probably blocks somehow..  Even ping to the board doesn't work.

Do you perhaps have an endless loop, where you don't give up the CPU?

A printf could result in a thread switch, if it needs to wait for the
UART to transmit the data, so you thread perhaps won't block the whole
system. But if you remove the printf and don't use any other function
that gives up the cpu, this would result in a blocked system.

Remember: NutOS useses cooperative multitasking, not preemtive
multitasking as you know it from Linux/Unix or Windows.

Even if it's outdated, you should take a look into
http://www.ethernut.de/pdf/entet100.pdf

Best regards,

Ole Reinhardt

--
kernel concepts    Tel: +49-271-771091-14
Dreisbachstr. 24   Fax: +49-271-771091-19