[En-Nut-Discussion] R34 on Ethernut 2.1

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Wed Aug 29 18:35:42 CEST 2007

Petri Hyötylä schrieb:
> Just out of curiosity and maybe to learn something about circuit design...
> What is the reason behind R34?

egnite maintains maximum backward compatibility when adding new
features. This is specifically true for the expansion port.

In early board versions pin 64 wasn't allocated and some people used
this pin for their own modifications. For example, you may remove the
32kHz crystal and add two additional wires to allocate PG3 and PG4 to
expansion pins 63 and 64. Then we were asked to provide ALE at the
expansion board. By not directly attaching ALE,  we allow to keep
existing modifications.

A more advanced example is the Ethernut 1.3 EEPROM emulation. In order
not to steal port bits for this function, we managed to use the upper
address bits as port pins during initialization, which had been really
tricky. Nevertheless, even this can be disabled by removing R7 and
adding R37. See
http://www.ethernut.de/en/hardware/enut1/index.html
"How to Make Rev-G and Rev-H Compatible to Rev-F"

This way an essential feature had been added without spoiling backward
compatibility.