[En-Nut-Discussion] Packet analyzer with ATmega128

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Jan 11 19:13:26 CET 2007

Hi,

I doubt that an ATmega128 will have sufficient performance for this
task. At 16 MHz it will execute max. 16 million assembly instructions
per second. Let's assume, that a tight loop to read the packet from the
NIC needs 10 instructions. Enough to get packets at 12 Mbit. OK for a 10
Mbit Ethernet. However, how many instructions would be required to
analyze the packet and to control the LCD etc? 1000? That would decrease
the rate to 120 kbit. Probably even 1000 instructions will require a
very advanced and optimized coding.

I'd suggest to use a fast ARM9 CPU and comfortably program it in C.

Harald