[En-Nut-Discussion] Once a fixed address, always a fixed address?

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Mon Mar 5 00:10:49 CET 2007

Rich Wellner wrote:
> I put a fixed address onto my nut once and then it would never ask for a
> dhcp address again.  This is because dhcp.c checks if there is a fixed
> IP on the board and then uses it if so.  This seems like a bug.  I
> worked around it with the following sequence but would argue that
> calling NutDhcpIfConfig really should do a DHCP request and not a silent
> default to a fixed address should one exist.  This came up for me
> because i needed a fixed address on a development network, but then
> deploy the nut to a dhcp network.

We ran into the same confusion early on with our experiences using Nut/OS.  The
logic employed in the address config code obviously made sense for someone's
project, but it took us quite a time to decipher it.  There's quite a few
undocumented choices and unexpected actions taken for what otherwise look like
innocuous functions.

Unfortunately, we never really had time to break it up into usable parts.  We
found something basic that worked for us, and never touched it again.

Had I more time, I would try to make a contribution of a more "transparent"
config path...

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net