[En-Nut-Discussion] NutOS configurator

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Sat Oct 6 11:11:17 CEST 2007

Ole Reinhardt schrieb:
> Does anyone have better experiences on the linux platform?
>
> I don't understand whet the problem might be. Is it a lua problem? A
> wxwidgets problem? For me it's quite unusable. The commandline options
> is not far what I need as I have to change options from time to time.
>
> My platform:
>
> debian/unstable
> wxwidgets 2.6
> lua5

Hi Ole,

most of the time I'm still using Windows to build Nut/OS. However,
several workstations in our company are Debian Edge now and the
Configurator will be used more often on Linux. As far as I can say, it's
working acceptable.

Neverthelee, speaking like a politician: "I'm very happy that we you are
criticizing this." :-) Well, actually I had the feeling that Linux users
are not happy with the Configurator. But as long as no one is
complaining, not much attention is paid.

There had been problems with the Configurator from time to time on both
platforms. They are mainly caused by directory path problems. Lua is
extremely stable and never ever caused any problems here. Not sure, if I
like this language really, but the runtime is very small, the code is
very well done and highly portable, and it seems to be quite powerful,
specially when used with C and C++.

If you are using wxWidgets 2.6, that _may_ cause trouble as well. Better
try the latest 2.8. There are still problems on Linux sometimes, but
nothing that really hurts. Sometimes the windows are not properly sized.
Resizing the main window or maximize and restore will help. The
Configurator inherited some very special controls from the original ecos
config. Over the time GTK and wxWidgets changed a lot and some features
used by these special controls did change as well. Anyway, as explained,
this is no big deal and can be fixed sooner or later. Btw. your are
using the latest Configurator from CVS HEAD or Nut/OS 4.4, aren't you?

Problem number 1 is this, however: We are using the autotools to build
the source package from CVS. Unfortunately CVS root is 'nut', while the
Windows installation is ethernut-x.y.z, where 'nut' is a subdirectory
of. This difference in the directory structure caused problems all the
time. Something got fixed on Windows, but caused problems on Linux and
vice versa.

IMHO, the best solution would be to get the same directory structure on
both platforms. In other words, ethernut-x.y.z is the top installation
directory and the location to start all build tools from. Directory nut
is just the source tree below the installation directory. But I'm not
using autotools too often and have no idea what's the smartest way to
get this done.

Last not least, I have no objections to use a different tool like
kconfig. Of course we must avoid maintenance of two different
configuration scripts. It's already a nasty task to keep the Makefiles
up-to-date for native building in the source tree. Probably kconfig
configurations can be converted to Lua parts or vice versa or both may
be build from a global XML format or whatever.

Harald

P.S.: Somewhat off topic. While talking about tools, I was recently
forced to use scons
http://www.scons.org/
I was impressed. The only problem is, that it requires Python, which
caused some minor problems on Windows, which doesn't handle dependencies
very well. Anyway, it worked like a charm.