[En-Nut-Discussion] NutOS configurator

Tim DeBaillie debaillie at ciholas.com
Mon Oct 8 16:18:29 CEST 2007

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, Tim DeBaillie wrote:

> When I get to the office on Monday, I can send the versions of the
> software we are using.  I will also send the instructions we used to
> install it.  We used a hybrid of what's on the Ethernut website and what
> we found somewhere else about getting ARM7 working for GCC.

This is partially derived from:
http://www.ethernut.de/en/documents/debian.html

Install the following packages from the "Synaptics Package Manager", my
version number is in parentheses:

gcc (4.1.2-0ubuntu4)
g++ (4.1.2-0ubuntu4)
autoconf (2.61)
automake (1.10)
libwxgtk2.8-0 (2.8.1.1-0ubuntu4)
libwxgtk2.8-dev (2.8.1.1-0ubuntu4)
wx2.8-headers (2.8.1.1-0ubuntu4)
wx-common (2.6.3.2.1.5ubuntu6)
libgtk2.0-0 (2.10.11-0ubuntu3)
libgtk2.0-common (2.10.11-0ubuntu3)
libgtk2.0-dev (2.10.11-0ubuntu3)
libwxgtk2.4-1 (2.4.5.1ubuntu2)
libwxgtk2.8-0 (2.8.1.1-0ubuntu4)
libwxgtk2.8-dev (2.8.1.1-0ubuntu4)
lua50 (5.0.3-2build1)
liblua50 (5.0.3-2build1)
liblua50-dev (5.0.3-2build1)
liblualib50 (5.0.3-2build1)
liblualib50-dev (5.0.3-2build1)
doxygen (1.5.1-1build1)
doxygen-doc (1.5.1-1build1)
graphviz (2.8-2.6)
texinfo (4.8.dfsg.1-4build1)
libncurses5 (5.5-5ubuntu2)
libncurses5-dev (5.5-5ubuntu2)
flex (2.5.33-10build1)

For some reason lua is not linked properly for a subsequent build, so
symlink the following:

ln -s /usr/include/lua50/lauxlib.h /usr/include/lauxlib.h
ln -s /usr/include/lua50/lua.h /usr/include/lua.h
ln -s /usr/include/lua50/lualib.h /usr/include/lualib.h

Download the files under "GCC-4.1 toolchain" in the "FILES" section of:
http://www.gnuarm.com/

Untar each of the files.

Now follow these directions as root:

cd binutils-2.17

./configure --target=arm-elf \
--prefix=/usr/local/gnuarm --enable-interwork --enable-multilib

make all install

export PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/gnuarm/bin"

cd ../gcc-4.2.1

./configure --target=arm-elf \
--prefix=/usr/local/gnuarm --enable-interwork \
--enable-multilib --enable-languages="c,c++" \
--with-newlib --with-headers=../newlib-1.14.0/newlib/libc/include

make all-gcc install-gcc
** IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS HERE, CHECK THAT "." IS LAST IN YOUR PATH IF IT IS
THERE

cd ../newlib-1.14.0

./configure --target=arm-elf \
--prefix=/usr/local/gnuarm --enable-interwork --enable-multilib

make all install

cd ../gcc-4.2.1

make all install

cd ../insight-6.5

./configure --target=arm-elf \
--prefix=/usr/local/gnuarm --enable-interwork --enable-multilib

make all install
** EXPECT THIS TO FAIL!! (we still haven't figured this one out!!)

Download the latest ethernut tarball from:
http://www.ethernut.de/en/download/index.html

As the local user:

tar xjf ethernut-4.4.0
cd ethernut-4.4.0
./configure
make

As the root user:

make install

Back as the normal user:

nutconf

That's how we got it to install on Ubuntu (feisty fawn).  Again the only
two "features" we found:
~ The ethernut configurator comes up blank until you resize the window.
~ It builds MUCH faster if you use ABSOLUTE paths for the settings in the
NutConf.

This allows us to develop entirely under linux.  The only thing we don't
have is the ability to program directly under linux over the SAM-ICE JTAG
device.  There are sites that say you can use the Olimex USB JTAG device
with OpenOCD to program in linux.  I have not attempted this.  We use
VirtualBox (virtualbox.org) with Windows XP and program over USB that way.
Unfortunately VBox is limited to 11Mbps USB speed, so it is much slower
than doing this in windows.  Occasionally I will flash from a windows box
via VNC just for the sheer speed.

--
Tim DeBaillie