[En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernut3 Code in ROM and in RAM

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Sat Sep 8 15:39:44 CEST 2007

ml schrieb:
> does anyone know the easiest way to get some peaces of code running in RAM

Hi Martin,

Martin Thomas published some infos
http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/arm_projects/#gcc_ramfunc

I recently ported umon to Ethernut 3, which uses a Tiny File System for
executables. It's available at
http://www.ethernut.de/arc/?C=M;O=D
umon-ethernut3-20070730.zip
Note, that this is work in progress and not finished. A linker script
for Ethernut 3 is included (umon_ports/ethernut3/ETHERNUT3_boot.ldt).
You can use tfpt to store executable binaries in the file system (using
a function in RAM) and later load them into RAM for execution. It should
be possible to enhance it. The user's manual for the monitor is
available at various places, for example at
http://www.cadenux.com/bsp/umon_manual.pdf
> Or can i store a complete bin file as a part of my rom-code, transfer it
> completely to ram
> and start it there ?
This is called In-Place Execution and sometimes used with Flash File
Systems. It is not trivial, as it requires location independent code.